Friday, July 20, 2012

When A Tragedy Happens

I've been working really hard on my "Run for Your Lives" post but like the rest of the state today, I seem to find myself standing still - physically and emotionally.

There are so many "whys?" and possible answers flying around, the noise of this tragedy is literally deafening. It's inescapable. I couldn't go back to sleep once I saw the preliminary reports in the middle of the night. I couldn't sit still watching the news this morning. I couldn't keep from crying on the way to work. I can't stop trying to find answers.

Sitting here, scanning CNN and Yahoo and streaming 9News, I suddenly became extremely overwhelmed.

As I lay in bed unable to sleep this morning, I held Aiden as close to me as I could. He had a nightmare in the middle of the night and crawled into my bed. This had prompted me to read the news at the early, odd hour I did. How strange that I God would give me the gift of comfort and of my son, safe, healthy and cozy next to me at exactly that moment.

The overwhelming feeling I know write to you with, resonates deep in my chest, telling me how lucky I am. Whole heartedly, I am overcome with the need to make Aiden's life so wonderful and joyful. To give him everything I possibly can.

Things have been really hard recently. It's stressful - always playing catch up, always hoping that I will make my deadlines and keep us in the black. But it's worth it. But with renewed strength and faith in the midst of an awful nightmare - the bottom line is, I have the most valuable thing in the world. Aiden's trust, Aiden's love, Aiden's understanding. Aiden.

Be weary, but be thankful. Be saddened, but have faith.

I remember this from when I was young: faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us - and the greatest is love.

No comments: