Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Easter and Such

And now for those Aiden updates I had promised....

First and foremost, a big congrats to my little guy - he is done with speech therapy!!! He still has to have an OT evaluation and potentially some intervention in that area, but language-wise, he is right where he needs to be. He had so much fun catching up with Miss Jo last week, it's almost sad that they won't be hanging out together anymore, but he did phenomenally! He knew and pronounced all the words perfectly and even rambled on about each one for a while. The sounds he still doesn't have down 100% are sounds that most kids don't master until they are 6 and he has trouble with pronouns a bit but again, that comes with another year or two of talking the talk.

So the OT thing (occupational therapy) will just be about helping him concentrate. Some kids require lots of sensory input to focus, others receive too much. With Aiden, we have noticed a sensitivity to sounds. He will hear a neighbor or a car or a thud outside and immediately want to know what it is. He complains when the radio is too loud ("too fast" he says) in the car for him to hear his game boy, etc. So, likely, Aiden is getting to much sensory input and it manifests itself by making him move his body around to compensate for every sensory receptor his body is receiving. He'll do funny things, like run his head along the floor, stomp his feet, crash hard on the ground with his body, etc and it's all a means to solidify all the "noise" he's getting.


In other news:

Aiden had a splendid Easter, hunted eggs with Aunt Dana...











 And because it was such a beautiful day, we went swimming! It was gorgeous, the water was warm, the sun was out - and Aiden took no bribing (well maybe a small amount of "I'm gonna push you!") to jump in. He swam his little self all around the pool, glorious :)



Some other interesting things that have been happening lately...

For the last couple weeks, at bed time, Aiden has been sneaking into his closet and closing the door. The light is on of course, but he sits quietly in there for a couple minutes, sometimes whispering, sometimes silent, then he comes back out and gets back in bed. Peculiar....

His hands and lips have been especially dry over last cold months, so I cover them in A&D ointment before bed and leave the tube on his night stand. The first time the tube went missing, I chalked it up to mishap cleaning and replaced it with another (we have plenty). Last night, it was missing again, so I got a new one upon Aiden's insistence, covered him in the stuff and went to bed.

Not long after I lay down, I could hear the closet door closing and the whispering start. Shortly after, he went into the bathroom and washed something in the sink, then asked to be tucked back in - OK kid, one more time, but then really, bed time. When I snuggled him back in bed, I noticed the A&D missing...the one I just put on the night stand. Peculiar....

When I asked where it was, he said he put it in the closet. So I took a peek...

Everything in Aiden's reach in the closet was covered and smelled of A&D, then in the very back of the closet, sort of hidden, were 4 empty, squished up tubes of the stuff.

Since bed time had long come and gone, I said, "back to bed." Mostly because I was hoping that if I went to  sleep pretending it never happened, it'd take care of itself. This morning, when trying to dress Aiden in something that wasn't covered in goo, I realized how terribly wrong I was.
















1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a funny story about the ointment! When you first mentioned the whispering in the closet, I was thinking maybe he had an imaginary friend in his closet--I started having those at about his age.
Curious how "terribly wrong you were"--the last object on the post isn't showing up for me!
Glad to hear Aiden's OT has gone so well! I understand the experience of "too much" sensory input--it's not easy, especially for a kid his age. I have problems concentrating with bright lights and fluorescents, especially if I have to read, because they make the words jump off the page...
Both my parents never understood why I preferred low lighting, even when reading or on the computer, but it's because I can't see or focus as well with the lights on brighter!
I'm sure Aiden will get a better handle on the auditory sensory input as he matures, but it's good that you're able to recognize it now and try to help him work with it.
Hope you're well :)