Friday, February 10, 2012

Not So Happy Hoe-Down

Last night was Aiden's first ever school performance - their Annual Hoe-Down. All the classes worked on and performed hoe-down themed dances. I was apprehensive about this for a few reasons...

One, I had no idea what to expect because when you tell Aiden to dance, he typically responds with his booty-shakin number entitled "Do-Do-Dahhhh!"

Two, he's never done anything like this before and gets really overwhelmed in front of lots of people.

When his class filed into the gym, I immediately started to worry...

He had his head down, wouldn't look up, and clearly wanted nothing to do with any of it.

Right as the music started Grandma and Grandpa Deiker showed up and snagged a spot on the floor right next to Aiden, but things went from bad to worse...You can hear me in the back ground starting to panic and Uncle Erik saying, "Oh noooo."




I have a full video of his performance but for his sake I will just say, things didn't improve much. He didn't want to be there, he smiled a few times and sang along briefly but when everyone started clapping he broke down.


I was shaking for him. Standing behind a packed row of chairs I was coming unglued trying to figure out how to get to him. The people in front of me saw who I was and helped out, thank God! I was so proud of him for sticking it out up there though.

The older kids performed and there were a couple that were total class clowns. I was thinking to myself, "I wonder if I know their parents from class..." Sure enough, one of the moms from my parenting class asked, "Is the other class clown yours?" I felt bad saying no, that's all you....but it was hilarious.




Aiden's spirits were better once I got to dance with him and the whole thing was over - he took to rough housing with Uncle Erik in the gym.





Anyway, thanks to Grandma and Grandpa Deiker, Aunt Dana, Aunt B and Dave, Aunt Kelly and Uncle Erik for coming - these things mean a lot to Aiden.

Ps - When we got home and I showed Aiden the video of himself, he started doing the dance...funny kid.

No comments: