Friday, August 3, 2012

Baking with Beer

I hate cooking. I am not good at it. Nothing ever turns out. I seriously got shafted on that Cormack gene. It's not that I don't want to cook or mind so much, but I get so upset when I work so hard and it doesn't go the way it's supposed to.

Well, this weekend is Fun Day at the lake, which means cake-walk, which means: I gotta bake.

I went to Pinterest and got some relatively simple recipes, and then I got a case of beer.

Here are my mis-adventures....

Strawberry Cream-Cheese Crescents
You will need:
1 pkgpillsbury crescent rolls
8 tspstrawberry jam
4 ozcream cheese, room temperature
1/4 csugar
1/2 tsplemon juice
1/2 tsppure vanilla extract
1egg white
1 tspwater
 And one other important ingredient:


Good music.

Ok, ready?

Preheat oven to 375 and crack a beer. After a coupe sips you won't care that you are supposed to use tin foil on your cookie sheet and will then grease it with butter instead.



I made a double order so, next step was unroll the crescents on the cookie sheet - this is easier if they are cold and haven't been sitting in your car for two hours, lesson learned.



Mix together cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla until creamy.


Don't forget to keep drinking.


Next, I decided to cleverly spread my mixture over the un rolled rolls and then added and indiscriminate size spoonful of strawberry jam in the middle.

Rolling didn't go well the first time around, but the more I drank the better it got.

Anyway, before you plop them in the oven, mix your egg white and water and drizzle it on top of them. maybe it holds them together or something I don't know. 

All I know is that it is exceedingly fun to extract an egg white from an egg white once you are a couple deep.



First batch....


drunk batch!

Cooked them for about 9 minutes - until they turned golden and then they came off the sheet much easier once I let them cool about half an hour.


Next up- Lemon Cream-Cheese Bars

What you will need:

Ingredients
  • 1 box lemon cake mix
  • 1/3 cup butter or margarine - softened
  • 1 egg
  • 8 ounces cream cheese - softened
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 lemon - grated
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla



This is the lemon cake I used, and because this recipe is a bit more difficult, I chose something a little stronger to drink too.


Ok, here we go...


In a bowl, mix the cake mix, one egg, and butter. If you are the drunk person who put the beaters in the dishwasher you will have to put this bowl of stuff in the fridge until the dishwasher has finished.

Once the dishwasher is done and you mix your stuff, you get the joy of pressing it into a cake pan


Required some muscle...

Ok in a new bowl (or the same dirty bowl) blend your cream-cheese til it's creamy, and gradually add the powdered sugar. Stir in lemon peel and lemon juice - eat left over lemon:


Recipe says to save half a cup of the goo you just made in the fridge, I just eye-balled it.



Ok with whats left in the bowl, add your last two eggs, and vanilla then pour it on top of the cake mixture in the pan.
Bake for 25 minutes.

Let it cool completely, I let it cool all night cuz I passed out.

Then take the left over cream cheese mix form the fridge, spread it on top and let it set.


I am so curious to see how this all tastes! I was too hungover this morning to try any...





No comments: