Monday, July 18, 2011

It's All Over

Well I had some very mixed feelings about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II - of course because I am a Potter nerd, I loved it. But, it wasn't my favorite movie of the series. 

I actually left the movie feeling a little empty over it. Obviously if you haven't followed the books or movies you would be totally lost watching it. But, for those of us who have been following for 12 years now, it was kind of like the reward for making it to the end was to see the end. And that's what it was.


Rachel and I standing in line for SB - yep broke my 3 month streak!

The movie theater decorated for the midnight showing with house banners and "floating candles" - it looked like it took awhile to get it done! I couldn't help but laugh though, the whole thing was really impressive and was supposed to look like the great hall. Except the table with it's decorative plates and goblets, was pretty small. Maybe the size of a folding card table. It made me giggle.


Slytherin and Gryffindor

Floating Candles
Maybe I was just cranky when I woke up the next day, but I felt like maybe I was just kind of over Harry Potter. I saw and read all there was to see and read and so I was done.

After talking about it with my fellow geeks at work, I decided I liked it a lot more. I did cry during the movie and all. It's hard as a kid I think, to grasp what JK Rowling was getting at with Professor Snape's character and when I got to reflect back on it after seeing his whole memory sequence I decided that it really was very moving. And even if the movie was non-stop action with not much else to tie it together, it was the special treat, the "denouement" if you will (yes I am a dork), of the whole series to see it all finished.

No comments: