Monday, August 15, 2011

Dear Aiden

Dear Aiden,


Have I ever told you that you are a precious gift. Even when I am frustrated, I am awed by the light in your eyes. You are intelligent, and silly and beautiful from the inside out. You deserve a life full of wonder and adventure. 


I know that things don't make sense right now, and I promise you there will be quite a few days ahead that are equally confusing, possibly even painful. I know that I can not make all your troubles and fears disappear with a kiss and a snuggle -- but I promise you that we can try that prescription first, every time. 


You will likely hear things about Mommy and about Daddy that make you feel angry, or sad, or even a little lost. I am sorry, from the bottom of my heart. Mommy and Daddy are going to do the very best job at being your Mommy and Daddy that they can. We will likely disagree at some point or even quite often about what is best for you, but I promise you that it is because we both want to see you be the happiest little boy that you can be. It may take us some time to figure it out, but we will get there. And along the way, we will love you. Completely. Honestly. Truly love you.


Please be a brave boy and know that I will do everything within reach to make you smile, and if it is out of reach, we will get a ladder.


I promise, as long as I live, to be your exploring companion. 






Life may not always go your way
And every once in awhile you might have a bad day
But I promise you now you won't ever be lonely
The sky turns dark and everything goes wrong
Run to me and I'll leave the light on
And I promise you now you won't ever be lonely




For as long as I live
There will always be a place you belong
Here beside me
Heart and soul baby --  you only
And I promise you now
You won't ever be lonely



It's still gonna snow and it's still gonna rain
The wind's gonna blow on a cold winter day
And I promise you now you won't ever be lonely
You're safe from the world wrapped in my arms
And I'll never let go
Baby, here's where it starts
And I promise you now you won't ever be lonely
Here's a shoulder you can cry on
And a love you can rely on
For as long as I live
There will always be a place you belong



Here beside me
Heart and soul baby -- you only
And I promise you now you won't ever be lonely
No, no, you won't ever be lonely


Love, Mommy



2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely post! It made my eyes water a bit :) I especially love that picture of you and Aiden, and the one of Aiden with the cat. So adorable.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jess!