Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Small Dilemma...Or Two

Well, it is that time of year - back to school time. I started noticing about a week ago, when traffic in Boulder got grossly worse in the evenings. Last Thursday the highway traffic on my secluded 93-Route took 2 hours! With all the hub-bub around town, I decided I should start ordering my books and getting ready for my classes since they are coming up quickly.

When I looked over my list for Literature of the American West, my eye was caught by A River Runs Through It - because I read that before. And then I noticed the name Edward Abbey...because I know him, I was an avid fan of his essays about 3 semesters ago...uh-oh I thought, perhaps I am repeating a class??

Since I had an appointment with my academic advisor already I decided to wait until I saw her to order books, just in case I was making a mistake that might keep my from graduating in December. Lucky me, I am repeating a class, but it's okay. I am repeating Topics In Popular Culture to be exact, and those silly book nerds over in the English Department want you to take that class twice - 2 different topics. The books I will be re-reading are just a coincidence though.

The reason I met with my advisor in the first place was to ask about where to go, what to do, and when to do it, for grad school. As it turns out, if I want to go to grad school at CU for marketing -- my only option is to go all the way and get my Ph.D, which would require that I obtain an MBA simultaneously, work a 20 hour a week assistanceship, and the whole thing would take 5 years.

I have a few choices, I can look at other schools, which I am in the process of doing now, but it seems pretty standard that I would just be getting an MBA to go with a specialized marketing degree, and that it's gonna take a good chunk of time. Now, I really love school. And I am not afraid to work hard, but to be really honest - I have been working my ass off since I was 15 it feels like. I don't know that I can do 5 more years of it.

Another option is I can get my MFA or Ph.D in Lit -- which I know I would enjoy, but I am not sure it serves the same purpose as going back for marketing would. And if I want to do so, I need to take my GRE as soon as possible so I can apply for next fall. Allow me to be really honest again?? Not entirely sure I want to study for my GRE while I am still taking classes this semester.

Dilemma: I am lost.

Bottom line: it all comes back to financial aid. I might not be doing anything if the only possible aid I can get is working as a TA 20 hours a week.

I want to put the whole thing out of my mind, but unfortunately, decisions must be made. Soon.

But since we are on the subject of school...let's talk about everyone's favorite monkey.

Aiden is officially enrolled in pre-school, 2 days a week. It was a lot easier that I thought it was going to be. I did all the forms online yesterday and have been getting everything together for awhile so it went pretty quickly.

Once he was enrolled, the next step was to  drop off the enrollment fee, first month's tuition and sign his medical waiver. So, I left work early yesterday and went by the pre-school to take care of this stuff.

Dilemma: no one was there. The pre-school is under a small amount of construction.

I left a message on their voice mail, I figure, since they're getting ready for their school year, they will probably be back up and running really soon. This doesn't bother me one bit, because, if we are still being completely honest, I was already getting a little choked up thinking about Aiden's first day. This gives me time to better prepare emotionally.

Since I was off work early and spent no time at all at the day care, I got to go home and snuggle the little bubba for a bit.


And even though he doesn't have an official start date yet for pre-school, we went for FroYo to celebrate anyway.



I can't believe how fast he's growing up.
And yes those are gummie worms in my cup of yogurt...


No comments: